Monday, December 18, 2017

Kaká announces his retirement, wrapping an elite pro soccer career

Image result for Kaká announces his retirement, wrapping an elite pro soccer career
aká announced his retirement Sunday, officially wrapping an elite pro soccer career that included a final stop helping Orlando City make the jump to Major League Soccer.

The 35-year-old midfielder said in October he would not renew his contract with Orlando City, passing on an offer that would pay him less than the original $7.167 million deal he first signed when the Lions were joining MLS.

Kaká left open the possibility he would play one more year in his native Brazil, take a year off before playing again or retire. More recently, he was linked to a possible return to Italian club A.C. Milan.

He announced his decision to wrap up his career as a player on his social media accounts, posting a picture of himself kneeling on a pitch next to a soccer ball while wearing a T-shirt that read, “I belong to Jesus.”


Kaká included a message in English and Portuguese that read, “Father, It was much more than I could ever imagined. Thank you! I’m now ready for the next journey. In Jesus name. Amem.”

Kaká told Brazilian outlet Globo.com Sunday, “I needed time to think and take a very calm decision, very calm and very aware of what I will want for my professional life. Then I asked some people very close to me — my parents, my brother, my girlfriend and my brother's wife, there are five people — I asked them to pray.

“And studying, seeing what happened in this moment, proposals. I went to Europe to watch some games, to feel the emotion of the game there, where football really has its highest point. And very aware, I came to a conclusion that it's time to end my career as a professional footballer.”

When he announced he would not sign another contract with Orlando City, Kaká mentioned many of his peers who made successful moves into directing and coaching roles. He admired those who took a year off to evaluate their best options.

Kaká told Globo he would need to follow that path, considering offers to work for the clubs where he played and learning what it takes to be a successful director before decided whether to take on that kind of work.

“I want to see and observe a little from afar,” he told Globo. “The fact that I’ve had successes as a professional footballer doesn’t mean that I will be a good director or not. So I want to prepare myself for this from now on, to study, to follow, to be closer to some clubs, principally those at which I played.”

Orlando City congratulated the Lions’ former captain on his retirement and reminded him he is always welcome in Orlando.

Kaká brought instant credibility to Orlando City when he joined the club in 2014 after previously being a FIFA World Player of the Year, Ballon d’Or winner and World Cup champion. He played in three World Cups, won a UEFA Champions League title with Milan, won a FIFA Club World Cup and won Serie A (Italy) and La Liga (Spain) championships.

Orlando City CEO Alex Leitão posted on Twitter, “So my friend, now it's official. What a beautiful career, how many joys, how many people inspired. I wanted to thank you so much for your football, for our 17 years of friendship and for join me in Orlando. I wish you the best in this new phase, always count on me.”

The club used its social media accounts to recap highlights of Kaká’s Orlando City career and stress he is, “Forever a Lion.”

He also was saluted for being one of 11 World Cup winners and one of just three Ballon d’Or winners to play in MLS.
Before he adopted the Kaká nickname given to him by his brother, he was known as Ricardo Izecson dos Santos Leite. He began his youth soccer career with Brazilian club São Paulo at age 8, signed his first contract at 15 and made his professional debut at 18.

After scoring 23 goals in 59 appearances with the Brazilian club, Kaká then played two stints with Milan (2003-09; 2013-14) and spent four seasons with Real Madrid in between. He made 328 appearances and scored 100 goals for the two clubs.

Orlando City signed Kaká as a designated player ahead of its inaugural 2015 MLS season. He’s been the face of the club ever since, providing veteran leadership and guidance. He was the highest-paid player in MLS until his $7.167 million contract expired at the end of the 2017 season.

His jersey was among the top-selling in MLS and he was named to ESPN’s 2017 World Fame 100 list, coming in at No. 18.

His teammates and coaches, who called him Ricky, said he tried to be a positive role model and took advantage of any opportunity to bond with the Lions, joining the team on commercial flights to road games when he easily could have booked more comfortable accommodations.

Kaká was injured during a swimming accident at age 18 and it was feared he might never play soccer again, but he made a full recovery and credits God for his return to the pitch.

His faith guided him through his career, and his work on the field matched his work in the community, where he mentored children and made appearances at local churches.


No comments:

Post a Comment

DONATE