Monday, September 5, 2016

"There is killing everyday. I saw a man kill an innocent boy for no reason" Nigerian migrant


Traumatized Nigerian migrant Lucky (Right) said he regularly witnessed many killing in Libya. The 20-year-old is one of more than 118,000 people to have made the perilous journey from Libya to Italy so far this year. Nearly 15,000 have been picked up off the coast of Libya since 28 August.

"It was a nightmare, " said Lucky. If many people knew what was going on there, they would not dare come" 
This year alone, almost 3,000 have perished or been lost at sea. With so many arriving so quickly, southern Italy is feeling the pressure. At the port of Pozzallo in Sicily, a naval ship arrived carrying 700 men, women and children rescued from the Mediterranean Sea. If accepted, the interior ministry relocates people to various regions across Italy.

"There is killing everyday. I saw killing. I saw a man kill an innocent boy for no reason"

Lucky told us he did not mind where he was resettled in Europe.

"I'm a beggar, I don't have any choice. I just want protection. I just need freedom."

But for now, Lucky's new home is a tent at a migrant centre in Messina. With a European fleet of ships waiting to rescue migrants off the Libyan coast, some fear it has made life too easy for smugglers.

 

Source: BBC

No comments:

Post a Comment

DONATE