Thursday, September 17, 2015

Pensioner called John McLean lives up to Die Hard namesake by battering burglar with walking stick

Pictured is John McLean who fought off a robber who targeted him only to meet his match when he discovered the victim shared the same name as the tough guy hero from the Die Hard Movies.
John McLean who fought off a robber with his walking stick
A robber who targeted a seemingly frail great-grandfather met his match when he discovered his victim's name was John McLean - just like the tough guy hero from the Die Hard movies.

The yob had broken into the 72-year old pensioner's home at 3am and burst into his bedroom expecting easy pickings.
But retired taxi driver Mr McLean battered his attacker with his walking stick.
Wearing a vest and in bare feet like his namesake in the films, Mr McLean hit the yob in the chest causing him to flee.
He later discovered the burglar has grabbed two mobile phones and a watch before escaping.
The incident occurred when Mr McLean was woken up by the burglar breaking his back window off from the frame of his ground floor, council run flat.
The yob also cut the phone lines, shortly before turning the hallway light on and popping his head around Mr McLean's bedroom door demanding his phone and wallet.
Mr McLean said: "I was lying in bed when the light came on, I thought who the hell is that?
He popped his head around the door and said 'I want your phone and your wallet now'.
  • Read More:
"My phone was in my hand because I was trying to ring the police and he snatched that from me.
Cavendish PressPictured is John McLean who fought off a robber who targeted him only to meet his match when he discovered the victim shared the same name as the tough guy hero from the Die Hard Movies.
John McLean has been burgled 4 times since 2008
"Then he said 'give me your wallet', I told him 'I don't have a wallet but I'll give you something' and I just hit him with my stick.
"I got him in the ribs, I wanted to break his ribs.
"I don't know what went through my mind, I just thought he might have a knife, I was just trying to keep him away from me.
"That's when I got up and realised I couldn't ring anyone from my house phone or my panic alarm.
"I noticed all the lines were out so I put my panic button back on and contacted them to ring the police.
"He definitely knew what he was doing, he pulled my phone lines out for a reason.
Cavendish PressPictured is John McLean who fought off a robber who targeted him only to meet his match when he discovered the victim shared the same name as the tough guy hero from the Die Hard Movies.
Police are investigating a spate of attacks on elderly people in the area
This isn't the first time this has happened either, since Mr McLean has been living there, he has been broken into four times.
He adds: "It wasn't like this years ago, it's not the same as it used to be."
Police investigating the raid are also probing the attempted robbery of an elderly couple aged 78 and 80 who were attacked at their home in Oldham.
Inspector Muz Kernain of Greater Manchester Police said: "We will not tolerate incidents like those aimed at vulnerable and elderly members of the community and will not rest until these people are brought to justice.
"I want to reassure people that there is nothing to be concerned about and this is something we are aware of and work is ongoing to tackle the problem."

No comments:

Post a Comment

DONATE