Saturday, August 22, 2015

Dr. Dre Issues An Apology To All The Women He Has Hurt

Screen Shot 2015-08-21 at 4.19.15 PM
Dr. Dre has been on a winning streak. He’s on the top of the Forbes list, and the movieStraight Outta Compton reigned in the box office as well as the soundtrack which he produced. Which is no surprise that his troubled past is haunting him in the midst of all this success. The biopic omitted Dre’s alleged assaults on women including former journalistDee Barnes, however, it is said that the assault was included in the original script.
Dr. Dre addressed the issue in the following statement released to the New York Times:

Twenty-five years ago I was a young man drinking too much and in over my head with no real structure in my life. However, none of this is an excuse for what I did. I’ve been married for 19 years and every day I’m working to be a better man for my family, seeking guidance along the way. I’m doing everything I can so I never resemble that man again. I apologize to the women I’ve hurt. I deeply regret what I did and know that it has forever impacted all of our lives.
He also addressed the issue in his Rolling Stone cover story with Ice Cube saying:
I made some fucking horrible mistakes in my life. I was young, fucking stupid. I would say all the allegations aren’t true—some of them are. Those are some of the things that I would like to take back. It was really fucked up. But I paid for those mistakes, and there’s no way in hell that I will ever make another mistake like that again.
Apple also decided to back up their consultant with the following statement:
Dre has apologized for the mistakes he’s made in the past and he’s said that he’s not the same person that he was 25 years ago. We believe his sincerity and after working with him for a year and a half, we have every reason to believe that he has changed
The women at the center of the allegations are hip-hop journalist Dee Barnes, Michel’le, an R&B singer and Dr. Dre’s former girlfriend, and Tairrie B, a onetime label mate, have all come together to tell their stories with the help of social media. Barnes argues that her coming out after the release of Straight Outta Compton isn’t opportunistic and the N.W.A members are the ones who brought up the past with the film.
The women have yet to respond to Dr. Dre’s apology. Stay tuned for any updates on this story.

No comments:

Post a Comment

DONATE