Tuesday, May 26, 2015

I Was In An Abusive Relationship – Tope Osoba

Tope-Osoba-Y








Having danced for music stars like Rasqie, Pasuma, Adewale Ayuba, Olu Maintain Weird MC amongst others, Abeokuta born actress, Temitope Osoba has finally made the transition from being a dance queen to not only an established actress but also a movie producer. World Famous as she is popularly called,  Tope who made her debut in the movie world in  the movie, Ijoya actress has so far remained consistence with her resolve to become an accomplished actress. Known for her action packed movie roles, the graduate of Business Education from Olabisi Onabanjo University recently premiered her first body of work, ‘Single ladies’. She speaks on her acting prowess and other issues

How do you feel premiering your first movie?
I feel excited and happy that against all odds, my first body of work will be out pretty soon and I also I want to give all glory to God almighty for making it possible. To my entire cast and crew, I want them to know that I appreciate them so well .

After several years in the industry, why did it take you so long to come out with your own movie?
Like the popular saying, nothing good comes easy, I was just taking my time to make sure I satisfy my fans and don’t fall short of what they expect from me.  It took so long to get this work done properly considering that there were hiccups somewhere along the line but the most important thing is that I am out now with my movie and I just believe it is the right my time and much more should be expected from me.
What inspired the title Single Ladies?
A lot of things happening around me informed the title most especially relationships with the female gender being at the receiving end. The main focus of the movie is tilted towards every single lady or single mothers who have relationship problems . They should not push themselves to the wall but they should rather, stand up for themselves and move on with life .I am just trying to portray different kinds of relationships people have through the movie. The experiences; the good, the bad and the ugly.  I am also appealing to men not to hit their women no matter what.

Why did you decide to shoot a relationship-themed movie?
I will attribute that to the little experience I have in my relationship. Things around me inspired me to choose that particular story line about relationship. I had a particular experience which I will like people to learn from.

Are you trying to tell your own story?
Well maybe, maybe not but the fact still remains that we make mistakes and we are not always right . Also we tend not to handle things in right way and sometimes things won’t just work the way we want it to.

What really happened?
It wasn’t just working. He wasn’t supporting my career; there was abuse, no true love, there was trust issue and I was thinking I could hold it down. Dating him dragged me down, affected my life and career negatively. I couldn’t help but  to let him go. I was too weak to keep the relationship, but at the end of the day, I thank God I was able to regain my strength.

Are you in a relationship now?
Of course yes. And the relationship is the sweetest ever. The love in my life now is my childhood friend and I guess God has a plan for everything. So I will just say God is working.

Is it an English speaking movie?
No. Single ladies is a 70 per cent  Yoruba language and 30per cent  English speaking movie so as to cut across to everyone.

What challenges did you face in the cause of producing the movie?
A lot. I missed lectures, exams, tests just because I was trying to bring out a message to members of the public. Financial constraints, locations, electricity and a host of others but thank God all is well now.

The movie ought to have been premiered on March 28th. Will you say the shift in date was worth the wait?
It was worth the while because that was like God working for me. I did not have enough time because there was a lot of pressure on me. Then the election was moved to that same date and I became very confused but thank God it all came out well.

How did the journey into acting start for you?
I never had any interest in acting. I started out as dancer and what I knew best was dancing and singing. So, I guess acting chose me because I never liked acting. I could recall one day, coming from school, I dropped at Berger bus stop. I was tired but I decided to go to Adeniyi Jones where we used for our dance rehearsals. That was how I saw some actresses rehearsing for Ijoya by Laide Bakare. When I entered, Seyi Ariyo (She Baby) quickly pointed me out to the director who requested to see what I have done in the past. I showed them clips of a dance session with Weird MC and they fell in love with it. That was how I got my first script.

No comments:

Post a Comment

DONATE