Monday, August 13, 2018
Two technicians at a Humboldt Park neighborhood pharmacy on the West Side have been indicted for stealing and selling more than 56,000 hydrocodone pills over two years.
Elizabeth Cruz, 33, and 27-year-old Jacqueline Green conspired to steal 56,108 pills between September 2015 and December 2017 when they worked at Allcare Discount Pharmacy, 2750 W. North Ave., according to an indictment returned last week in U.S. District Court.
Cruz, who lives in Stone Park, and Green, who lives in Chicago, allegedly falsified the pharmacy’s inventory to make it look like the pills had either been dispensed to patients or had never been received from the distributor, according to prosecutors. They then sold them outside of the pharmacy for a profit of about $10,800.
The indictment charges them each with conspiracy to possess a controlled substance with intent to deliver, prosecutors said. They were arrested Aug. 9 and were expected to appear in court for detention hearings on Monday.
“Diversion of opioids contributes to addiction and illegal drug sales in our communities,” U.S. Attorney for the Norther District of Illinois John R. Lausch said in a statement. “Pharmacy employees who divert prescription drugs for their own profit will be prosecuted to the full extent of the law.”
The charge against Cruz and Green carries a maximum sentence of 20 years in prison, prosecutors said.
AC Adamu Shehu, the corps Spokesman in the state, who confirmed the incident to newsmen in Dutse on Saturday, identified the victim as Abdullahi Sabo, a resident of Kofar Gabas and a teacher at Government Girls Secondary School Babura engaged under N-Power.
“The incident occurred on Thursday in Babura when the attention of our officers was drawn by a good Samaritan who informed them that some youths were about to lynch a girl in Kofar Arewa, the residence of the suspect, to revenge for their friend," said Shehu.
“Immediately the officers swung into action and went to the scene and whisked the girl away to the office for safety, but they still followed her.
“It was upon reaching the office that we realised what led to the whole matter.
The tallest building in Europe is nearly complete. Rising above a new waterfront complex in St. Petersburg, Russia, the Lakhta Center's tower stands at 462 meters (1,516 feet) tall, making it the city's first "supertall" building (one measuring 300 meters or above).
The structure is now the northernmost skyscraper in the world, according to its developers.
The 87-story tower twists a full 90 degrees from its foundation to its top, like a winding needle. This makes it one of the world's tallest examples of a "twisted" skyscraper design.
Its soaring height is offset by a lower mixed-use building with a 260-meter-long (853-foot-long) facade. Residential and commercial space will be installed up to a height of 360 meters (1,181 feet), above which an observation deck and restaurant will offer breathtaking views over the Gulf of Finland.
The Lakhta Center takes the title of Europe's tallest building from Moscow's Federation Tower, completed in 2017, which stands at 374 meters (1,227 feet). Moscow is also home to five of the next six entries in the list, interrupted only by London's Shard, which was briefly the continent's tallest in 2012, at 310 meters (1,016 feet) tall.
NASA on Sunday blasted off a $1.5 billion spacecraft toward the Sun on a historic mission to protect the Earth by unveiling the mysteries of dangerous solar storms.
“Three, two, one, and liftoff!” said a NASA commentator as the Parker Solar Probe lit up the dark night sky aboard a Delta IV-Heavy rocket from Cape Canaveral, Florida at 3:31 am (0731 GMT).
The unmanned spacecraft aims to get closer than any human-made object in history to the center of our solar system.
The probe is designed to plunge into the Sun’s atmosphere, known as the corona, during a seven-year mission.
It is protected by an ultra-powerful heat shield that can endure unprecedented levels of heat, and radiation 500 times that experienced on Earth.
– Strange veil –
NASA has billed the mission as the first spacecraft to “touch the Sun.”
There is currently tension at the Maiduguri international airport in Borno state as angry soldiers are shooting indiscriminately to protest their deployment from the state capital to another local government.
The aggrieved soldiers reportedly arrived at the airport at 6pm ahead of their posting to Marte local government area.
But trouble started when they regrouped and refused to board the aircraft which ought to convey them there.
The soldiers who are of the special forces said after spending over four years in Maiduguri, they ought to be sent back to their families and not to be posted to face death.
Sunday, August 12, 2018
President Donald Trump issued a pair of tweets Saturday afternoon from his golf resort in Bedminster, New Jersey, accusing Attorney General Jeff Sessions of being “scared stiff” and calling the Department of Justice “rigged.”
The posts constitute the president’s latest criticisms of Sessions, who recused himself last year from overseeing the DOJ’s investigation into Russian election interference. As the probe has marched on, the attorney general has sustained increasingly regular attacks from the president.
“I have never seen anything so Rigged in my life,” Trump wrote. “Our A.G. is scared stiff and Missing in Action. It is all starting to be revealed - not pretty. IG Report soon? Witch Hunt!”
Trump also blasted Christopher Steele, the former British intelligence officer who compiled a dossier suggesting that Russian officials may possess damaging information on the president.
Trump’s allies have latched onto the idea of some impropriety by Justice Department officials. The president pointed to a connection between the department and the consulting firm behind the dossier, Fusion GPS, which was hired by Hillary Clinton’s campaign. According to multiple Fox News reports, Bruce Ohr, a Justice Department official who focuses on organized crime and drug smuggling, met with Steele and Fusion GPS founder Glen Simpson before the 2016 election. Ohr’s wife, Nellie, worked for Fusion GPS.
Some Republicans see this all as evidence of anti-Trump bias in the Justice Department. The president’s lawyers Jay Sekulow and Rudy Giuliani touched on the idea when they co-hosted Sean Hannity’s three-hour-long radio program Friday afternoon.
Christine Hallquist says that in the run-up to Tuesday's primary, people are finally beginning to pay attention to the race, but her status as a transgender woman isn't what's on their minds. Rather, she says, voters want to know what she can do to help them get higher-paying jobs, provide health care for their families and better educate their children.
So she's appealing to Vermonters with a progressive message that includes a livable wage, Medicare for all, free public college education and high-speed broadband access — even to those who live on remote back roads.
"That's how I want to be known in Vermont," Hallquist, 62, told The Associated Press in an interview at her Burlington offices. "Nationally, I want to be known as the first trans candidate."
It's working. The Victory Fund, a political action committee that backs LGBTQ candidates across the country, calls Hallquist a "game changer." If elected in November, Hallquist would become the first openly transgender governor in the country.
Friday, August 10, 2018
Caution party is the first of its kind experiential brand activations party that infuses euphoric imaginative experiences over good music Art and a well curated action plan that will run simultaneously in Lagos and Abuja .
“People are curious and playful” Caution party would create an engaging environment for sponsors to interact with prospective clients while they party & wander around the Caution party event looking at engaging art surprises and fun activities.
cation party is hosted by chaperon group a PR company with a track record of building unique interactive platform for different brands to interact with new clients/users (Arab Money costume Party Abuja, Assembly Awards Abuja)
one major opportunity our event offers is the unique opportunity for brands to make a bigger impact on fans’ memories and patronage.
Sexual assault allegations against Harvey Weinstein, Steven Seagal and Anthony Anderson handed over to the LA district attorney's office
The sexual assault investigations involving shamed movie producer Harvey Weinstein, action movie star Steven Seagal and 'Black-ish' actor Anthony Anderson have been handed over to the Los Angeles District Attorney's office.
The DA's office confirmed on Thursday that it was reviewing the three cases.
Mail Online reported that the Los Angeles Police turned over the sex assault cases regarding Seagal and Anderson on Wednesday. A spokesman for the DA's office said both were still under review.
The Beverly Hills Police Department presented a third sex assault case involving Weinstein back in June. The case involving Weinstein brings the number under review by Los Angeles prosecutors to six.
But the DA's office didn't reveal more details of the allegations or when the alleged assaults took place.
Meanwhile, Weinstein has been charged in New York with three cases of sexual assault after more than 70 women accused him of sexual misconduct but he denied ever having non-consensual sex with anyone.
An angry federal judge ordered a plane carrying a mother and her daughter to turn around and head back to United States, hours after being whisked away by U.S. authorities before a court hearing on their deportation status could be finished.
“This is pretty outrageous,” U.S. District Court Judge Emmet G. Sullivan said, according to the Washington Post. "That someone seeking justice in U.S. court is spirited away while her attorneys are arguing for justice for her? . . . I’m not happy about this at all. This is not acceptable.”
A Department of Homeland Security official said the agency was complying with the court’s order, according to NBC News. By Thursday evening, the mother and her daughter had landed in El Salvador. But they did not disembark and the plane immediately headed back to Texas, the DHS official said.
The mother in the case, identified in court papers only as "Carmen," is at the center of a lawsuit filed by the American Civil Liberties Union, which challenges a decision by Attorney General Jeff Sessions to exclude domestic and gang violence as reasons for immigrants to be granted asylum.
Sullivan, who sits on the U.S. court in the District of Columbia, threatened to hold Sessions in contempt of court.
The lawsuit seeks a stay of removal for immigrants who, the ACLU argues, could face "grave danger of being raped, beaten, or killed" in their home countries if they are forced to return to them.
"We are thrilled the stay of removal was issued but sickened that the government deported two of our clients — a mom and her little girl — in the early morning hours," said the ACLU's lead attorney on the case, Jennifer Chang Newell. "We will not rest until our clients are returned to safety."
The ACLU's lawsuit says Carmen and her daughter left their native El Salvador because they feared for their lives amid extortion attempts by gang members. Some of Carmen's friends and co-workers have already been murdered, the ACLU claims.
Under the fast-track removal system, created in 1996, asylum seekers are interviewed to determine whether they have a “credible fear” of returning home. Those who pass get a full hearing in immigration court.
Named in the ACLU's lawsuit are Sessions, Homeland Security Secretary Kirstjen Nielsen, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services Director Lee Cissna and Executive Office for Immigration Review Director James McHenry.
Homeland Security's "credible fear" policy instructs authorities to deny asylum to immigrants fleeing domestic abuse and gang violence. Critics have blasted the new policy as an affront to human rights and a systemic attack on immigrant women.
A “credible fear” interview is a threshold screening that determines whether there is a “significant possibility” that an immigrant could show they are eligible for asylum in a full hearing with evidence, witnesses, and appeals. If so, they get that chance; if not, they are quickly removed from the United States, according to the ACLU.
A man attempting to enter the United States illegally was severely injured on Sunday evening after he fell from a 30-foot border wall located near Calexico, California.
U.S. Customs and Border Protection announced the incident Monday, saying the man fractured both legs and possibly injured his back.
After border patrol agents found the injured man, paramedics and fire department personnel were sent to the scene, CBP said. The man was taken by helicopter to a hospital in Palm Springs.
Security footage of the incident posted to Twitter by U.S. Customs and Border Protection shows a figure falling from the wall and remaining motionless after impact.
The man was not identified by CBP in the release.
The U.S. government usually pays medical bills for people injured crossing the border illegally, before deporting them after they recover, said Border Patrol spokesman Carlos Pitones.
@CBPElCentro Man injured himself while making an illegal entry #ImperialValley. #BorderPatrol reminds the public of the involved dangers while crossing illegally. https://t.co/DuT4FJSjUshttps://t.co/msZ03oVLuwpic.twitter.com/Oc8rKhs1bq
— CBP El Centro (@CBPElCentro) August 7, 2018
Contributing: The Associated Press
A Wake Forest assistant basketball coach has been charged with assault after a deadly attack on a Florida tourist in New York City, the New York Post reported Thursday.
Jamill Jones allegedly slugged Boca Raton marketing professional Sandor Szabo so hard on Sunday that he fell backward, hit his head on the concrete and lost consciousness. Szabo was on life support through Monday but died Tuesday.
Szabo, 35, reportedly was in New York for the wedding of his stepsister when he made a mistake that cost him his life.
Just after 1 a.m. Sunday morning, he called for an Uber to pick him up at the hotel where his brother was staying, but he could not find his ride. As a result, he allegedly began banging on the window of multiple cars in hopes of finding his driver.
The death of a 23-year-old student, who killed herself two months after she alleged she was raped has renewed anger over sexual violence against women in South Africa.
Khensani Maseko, a student at the Rhodes University in Grahamstown, said she was raped by another student in May, according to a statement by the university.
On August 3, the day she took her own life, Maseko posted a cryptic message on social media.
"No one deserves to be raped," she wrote and posted on Instagram with a picture showing what is believed to be her date of birth and that day's date.
Maseko's account has since been removed from Instagram.
Rhodes University confirmed her death and said authorities held a meeting with Maseko's parents after she reported in July that she had been raped.
The university says it was agreed that Maseko should be taken home pending an investigation into her allegations.
The third-year student died a few days before her scheduled return to the university, where she was to meet with those investigating the case at the institution.
The man accused of the rape has been suspended, the university said in the statement posted on its website, adding that it was working with South Africa's police and the National Prosecuting Authority to launch an inquest into Maseko's death.
Police have not released the suspect's name.
Mullaly was walking along Jan Juc, a renowned fossil site along Victoria's Surf Coast in south Australia, when he spotted a partially exposed shark tooth in the rock.
"I was immediately excited, it was just perfect," Mullaly said.
That was just one of multiple teeth Mullaly found that day in 2015. Three years later, scientists have confirmed his hunch, saying Thursday that the teeth are all about 25 million years old and belonged to an extinct species of mega-toothed shark -- the Great Jagged Narrow-Toothed Shark (Carcharocles angustidens).
The ancient shark was believed to grow up to about 9 meters (30 feet) long, double the size of a great white shark. The teeth discovered on the beach were around 7 cm (2.75 inches) in length.
Mullaly's is one of the rarest finds in the history of paleontology, according to Erich Fitzgerald, a palaeontologist at Museums Victoria who led a team to excavate the site where the initial fossils were found.
"If you think about how long we've been looking for fossils around the world as a civilization -- which is maybe 200 years -- in (that time) we have found just three (sets of) fossils of this kind on the entire planet, and this most recent find from Australia is one of those three," Fitzgerald told CNN.
'My jaw sort of dropped'
Fitzgerald said he was first contacted by Mullaly last year about a different discovery, during which he briefly mentioned the find at Jan Juc, but it wasn't until the amateur fossil hunter brought the teeth into the museum that Fitzgerald realized how significant the discovery was.
Sharks have the ability to regrow teeth, and can lose up to a tooth a day. That cartilage does not easily decompose, which is why individual shark tooth fossils are somewhat common. However, Fitzgerald said that finding multiple teeth from a single shark is extremely rare.
"That doesn't happen. That just doesn't happen. That's only happened once before in Australia, and that was a totally different species of shark," he said.
When Mullaly told him the boulder he found was still on the beach, Fitzgerald said "my jaw sort of dropped."
Thursday, August 9, 2018
I'm not used to being watched this much when I try new things, but maybe that's the future. In the kind of augmented reality created by headsets like the one I'm testing, we're all performers in a split experience -- one part real world, one part illusion.
I'm trying the Magic Leap One for the first time, putting the headset through its paces at the company's Plantation, Florida headquarters just a few weeks before its public debut. For years, the startup has been shrouded: It's received $2.3 billion in funding from the likes of Google and Alibaba, but the company has released only a small handful of experiential videos to the public, raising questions about the company's veracity. But now, the hardware has a price and a release date -- the $2,295 headset is available now -- and Magic Leap is ready to show its creation to at least a few outsiders.